Many women consider and show concern about the health of their breasts only after hearing some bad news about someone they know being diagnosed with breast cancer. Breast cancers are the most common form of cancer among girls. Remember, you beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you live. And, early detection is key to catching breast cancer when it’s easily treatable.
Here are 5 points to consider to help you navigate your breast health:
- Age – You can’t change your age, genes, gender, personal or family history but changing your lifestyle, and giving some care to your breast can help you reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- Controlling your bodyweight – Maintaining a good healthy weight, and following a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables to boost your immune system keeps your body the healthiest.
- Controlling the consumption of alcohol – As per the National Cancer Institute (NCI), ladies who consume liquor have a higher risk of breast disease than individuals who don’t drink alcohol. So say no to your regular drink consumption habit, to lower the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Breast self examination – Because you know your body the most, you should self- examine your breast at the time of bathing, or lying down. You can check for changes in the skin of the breast or nipple region. Ensure there are no suspicious lumps or swelling, nipple discoloration or changes in the shape, size or position of your breasts. Self- awareness is an important part of every girl.
- Regular routine mammography screenings – Having a mammography is a basic part of breast health that can save lives. The American Cancer Society advocates starting yearly mammograms for all ladies at normal risk for developing breast cancer after the age of 40. Advanced breast tomosynthesis, which is also known as 3-D mammography uses low-dose X-rays to detect cancer early, but this technology may not be available in every centre.
Prevention is always better than cure. Lifestyle changes that lower your chances of getting breast cancer include getting regular physical activity to maintain a healthy body weight. Exercise also lowers your bad hormone levels, and boosts your metabolism and immunity. Maximize on breast-feeding after delivery since it provides a protective effect. If you smoke, quit to live a better life.